- 150 ml Water
- 40 g STAR BRAND Green Bean Starch
- 45 g KAPAL ABC BRAND Tapioca Starch
- 95 g ERAWAN BRAND Blended Rice Flour
- 300 ml Water
- 140 g Sugar
- 2 pieces Pandanus leaves
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- A few drops of pink liquid food colouring
- A few drops of orange liquid food colouring
- Mix all the ingredients rest and soak the batter for an hour.
- Shred and knot the pandanus leaves together. Prepare a syrup by boiling sugar, salt, 300 ml of water and the pandanus leaves until the sugar melts.
- Add in coconut milk and cook over a slow heat for a few seconds.
- Remove the leaves, set aside and let it cool down.
- Once cool, pour the coconut syrup little by little into the soaked batter.
- Whisk and set aside.
- Put water in the steamer pan to boil.
- Put the empty mould and steam for five minutes.
- Sieve and weigh out 500 g of the batter mixture and set aside.
- Colour the rest of the batter mixture with a few drops of pink colouring to the desired shade of pink you prefer.
- Start layering the kuih by pouring 95 g of the pink batter onto the base of the preheated mould. Steam for five minutes.
- Followed by topping the solidified pink layer with the white batter.
- Wipe the cover of the steamer regularly to prevent condensed steam from falling onto the kuih.
- Repeat the process until 8 layers of alternate colour kuih base is achieved.
- Colour the remaining white batter with desired orange food colouring. Typically, a peranakan kuih lapis is finished with an orange top.
- Steam for 30 more minutes.
- Set aside and cool down to room temperature (at least two hours). Once cooled, cut into diamond shapes to serve.